Learning Outcomes Assessment Grants
Award Period: January 1, 2020 – June 30, 2020
This grant program provides support designed to enhance student learning via the learning outcomes assessment process for Penn State undergraduate, graduate or certificate programs. The program is administered by the Office of Planning and Assessment and funded by the Schreyer Institute for Teaching Excellence. Awards will not exceed $3,000.00.
Proposal Submission Process and Timeline
Step 1: Before Friday, October 18, 2019: Contact your LOA liaison to discuss your initial idea and confirm that it is something that can be funded. You can meet in person, by phone, or via Zoom.
Step 2: By Friday, November 1, 2019: Submit a completed proposal form. The description should include the impact of the grant on learning outcomes assessment or student learning. *Note: Your liaison will provide a proposal form during your Step 1 meeting.
Step 3: By Friday, December 6, 2019: Funding decisions will be announced by the Office of Planning and Assessment.
Requested funds must be directly related to program-level learning outcomes assessment (i.e., assessment activities designed to determine whether students in a program have met the program learning objectives at the point of graduation) including, but not limited to:
- The purchase of books or other materials that support learning outcomes assessment efforts
- The purchase of materials necessary to address student learning issues uncovered through the learning outcomes assessment process.
- Group meals for faculty assessment meetings
- Lodging for faculty traveling to assessment meetings
- Guest speaker related to learning outcomes assessment
- Purchase of a nationally-normed assessment instrument
- Attendance at an assessment conference
- Salaries (no faculty/staff salaries, no graduate assistantships; wage-payroll for students only in unusually, well-justified circumstances)
- Incentives, raffle prizes, gift cards, or monetary awards for participants
- Goods or services from international vendors/companies
Proposal Review Criteria
This is a competitive process and decisions are based on the following factors:
- Impact on learning outcomes assessment process or student learning
- Rationale and basis for requested cost/expense (items exceeding the grant parameters may be partially funded)
- Total number of proposals and amount requested
- Available funds